Thursday, November 30, 2017

Can We Do This Life Alone?

The ticking time bomb has officially exploded. 

How are you doing? 
How is Ryan doing? 
How is work going? 
How are you feeling? 

I can only play the “I am good” for so long. I don’t do fake very well. I’ve always been a horrible liar. I can feel when there is tension in the air and then I try and try to make things airy and light for so long until KaBOOM the bomb goes off. 

I am naturally a very optimistic person. I can take any bad situation and find good or beauty in it somehow. It is how I manage to move on from things. I don’t like feeling like there is weight of any sort hanging over me. So yes, I am one who addresses issues head on. I don’t mind conflict because to me conflict means solving something that obviously is bothering a person so instead of doing a dance around nonsense I’d rather talk about. Which then, can cause friction with the other person because they are NOT willing to talk about it. Then there I go trying to force someone to talk about something they don’t care to discuss at the moment. So, guess what the result of that turns into? Lots of Damage. Saying things I don’t mean to say just because I want to solve an issue I think I can foresee and so I think “before it gets worse let’s deal with it” and then there ya have it gets worse REALLY FAST. 

I should know better. 

Here’s the thing if you know me well you know I am fast, VERY fast with saying hurtful words. SURPRISE!!! Yup it’s true! It’s a way of me crying out “everything is not okay.” Not the best way to express my feelings I know. We all handle situations differently. One can be expressive and one can try to solve everything internally, one can find addictions to num the pain, while the other is an emotional roller coaster. You get my drift. Which is the wrong or right way? There isn’t one but we all should TRY to get better at how we express ourselves. Don’t we all wish we could be perfect when it came to this kind of stuff. I don’t care if you are the calmest person or have every fancy degree known to man kind about how to communicate or manage pain. The bottom line is there are times in our lives where life just SUCKS. It SUCKS. 

We can have all the faith in the world, we can have all the money in the world, we can be the healthiest person, be the most organized person and still fall apart because shit happens. 

Here’s the thing. My husband and I have been at each other throats for a couple weeks now. There’s been tension, there’s been moments of trying but we get no where. 
3 1/2 months ago having lost our second child I can say I’ve been better. My grieving hasn’t been near as bad as the first loss we went through with loosing our stillborn Annabelle. I learned so much having gone through a stillborn and I can say that, well, that wrecked me. Every piece of me to my core. So, here I am now watching my mind, my thoughts, how I engage with people, what to say yes or no to (even though I still say yes to more than I should). But I’ve tried to stay focused for the most part on the outlets that I know bring healing. I’ve learned SO much about myself and I’ve have gotten to this place of knowing how to listen to my soul. I can say I am the happy with my life. Really I am living my dream. This was NOT the case before with our first loss.  As good of a job that I have done I have also had this fear of what will come up from all this pain that my family and I have endured. 

As much as I’ve learned, I know that when loss happens our life is effected by it somehow. Period. That is part of the process and I can’t deny that. I’ve learned to be thankful for it because I want whatever needs to come out to show its face and move on. The thing is moving on is not that easy. 

Most people don’t want to take the time to heal and so it is normal, especially if you’ve gone through a similar situation more than once. Being that this is the case for me I am wanting to move on even quicker. My mindset has been this...The fear of not going back to the past. We’ve worked too hard and we’ve come this far to NOT go back. 

Today though there are no smiles. There have been lots and lots of tears. 

It’s not me this time who is having a hard time with life it is my husband and that has brought up so much more pain than I even know what to do with. 

I want to give him all the answers. I want to do everything in my power to help but I can’t. Before I didn’t have any power to see life and beauty and now that I do it’s hard for me to see someone that does not. I make sure the house is so clean, I plan fun events, I say “let’s go on a bike ride” I do, do, do thinking that is how my husband may see all the beauty I see and in return he doesn’t. It’s hard now that the tables are turned and being patient I am learning is not my strong suite. 

Well how was I patient enough to go through my shit...my tendencies are so different than my husbands. I talked and wrote about everything and my husband doesn’t express anything. Lol. Typical man and woman relationship right?! 

So here I am learning again. The difference between a man and a woman are extreme. My husband carries a different weight than I do. He is the sole provider in our family. He protects us at all cost. He is always thinking of safety and is so aware of his surroundings when he is with us. He fathers our children by knowing them in ways only a father can know them. As a mom we carry our babies, we feel them kick, we go through the changes in our bodies and so as we have a deep connection by carrying our child and through all that I am realizing my husbands mind has been operating on a different level than mine. He is thinking of ways to provide and protect. Even though a man’s body doesn’t feel the changes a woman body does through pregnancy we have to honor that a man’s mind and emotions do change too. Everything is expanding in different ways. When we lost our two babies my husband has done the best job at being present as a husband and father. Although, he has had moments here and there of feeling and showing pain through all of this he hasn’t necessarily had the time to allow his mind to slow down enough because he has been so busy picking up the pieces that have fallen apart with all we have been through as a family and there has been lots and lots of pieces that have fallen apart.

I have thought...It’s no wonder why people don’t last in a marriage when moments of pain creep in. We are so opposite that in times of pain our bodies naturally want to shutdown, disengage, or num all the feelings we feel. It is so easy to find other outlets, addictions or ways to escape the pain. Temptations surround us on a daily basis don’t they? 

Here’s the thing is my husband and I have both discovered that we have to WANT TO if we WANT TO make this work. We have this thing that we say to each other. We say “I am not afraid of this” whatever it is. As much as fear wants to grip us, we know our daily thought process HAS to change the voice inside our head and we have to rewrite the story into the story we want to see. So that’s what we do. 

So what do we do from here? 

Well one of us MUST be stronger than the other and we MUST be okay with it. 

I pray.
I ask for guidance.
I call friends I trust. 
I create outlets that clear our mind. (Like writing, meditation, I read a book, listen to podcast etc.) 

A few months before our loss I started seeing a life coach. I started this because a very special friend of mine was telling me about her experience with this life coach and I wanted to meet her. I booked 6 sessions and really had no idea where it would go. Well, little did I know a few months later we would loose our son Ethan and all this time I’ve been taking to fuel myself is now what is carrying me through this point right here right now. 

Little did know. I just followed what my heart was saying and went with it. 

My life coach is amazing. She listens, she cares, she has been through SO much, has so many more years ahead of me and creates a place of trust. She’s helped me to stay in tune with myself and helps me understand what that truly means. 

Sometimes in life things or people come our way and it’s up to us to seize the moment. 

I am a firm, firm believer we CAN NOT DO THIS LIFE ALONE. 

As husband and wife this is our focus right now. Reminding each other that yes as much as we both need each other we also need an outside source to help us. Receiving help is NOT a sign of weakness it is a sign of STRENGTH. We “think” we got this! But guess what WE DON’T. People that say they do I turn my head because I was that person and then one day I said “I Don’t Got This.” WOW! It was so liberating to say those words. Let me tell you when we learn to say this a weight immediately lifts and the person you truly are at your core begins to revel the true you. It’s that person you’ve been missing this whole time. We all have our own process of getting to this point and that’s okay. 

My husband and I have found a rhythm and every once in a while the instruments that we are need a tune up. This is our tune up and we are not afraid of it. 

A consent melody is being birthed in us and I love the melody that we are creating. It is so worth finishing to me because I’ve seen the fruit a process like this produces. 

My friend called me the other day and she said something I never thought about. She said “Gina your two babies are two different people. Annabelle is her own person and Ethan is his own person. Both of them are different and both are bringing out something different in you. Get to know Ethan and don’t look back.”

That was SO powerful to me. As much as I thought I was doing a good job I was subconsciously comparing my losses as the same and they are not the same, they are different. I was so afraid to repeat history but really we are creating a new kind of history in us. 

My husband expressed to me something that hit me. He said “Gina you see beauty and I don’t. I am not there yet” and I have to be patient with him getting there. I preach all the time how we all have our own process and now it’s time to watch that process take place in my husband. I am so excited for him because I know the feeling. I can’t wait to see the beauty he will begin to see. 

You guys can I tell you...after all this we went out the other night. We talked and talked. My life coach advised before we talked to have a goal in mind and so that’s what we did. Our goal was to move forward and lay a foundation down of how we were going to move forward. Well, the next day my husband went to work and things were clicking. These past couple of days it has been insane to watch the tune up process begin. 

What changed? 
Our attitude. I remember my husband asking in the middle of an argument and he asked “what needs to change.” I said “it always begins with something so simple but we have habits of making everything so complicated.” And the first thing that came to my mind was “An attitude adjustment.” So that’s what I said out loud and when I said that I then said “change the story you are telling yourself.” 

You guys we have that power inside of us to change the story that keeps replaying in our mind. It takes practice but it can happen. 

You can change one cord in the melody and it can change the entire song. 

Find the rhythm to your song. Find the beat that works for you and do it. You are strong enough and Brave enough to do it. 

Like Nike says “Just Do It” haha right?!   

So get out there and do it. 

If you need help let me know. I would be more than happy to share my life coaches information with you or any other tools I have that have personally helped me. I would love to help anyway I can. 

Thanks for following my family's story. Thank you for reading my blogs and hearing my heart through this messy process. We are always a work in progress and I have learned to be okay with it. 

My hope is by reading our story you are encouraged and know that you are not alone. 


I would love to hear from you. Be blessed. 

2 comments:

  1. I can’t quite put into words how proud I am of you. Your life coach = a treasure :)) you have so much light and love inside you that even through your pain and loss you are able to bring hope to others. I love you friend and I’m always here for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I just love you Gina. I love your willingness to be vulnerable so that others can see they are not alone. I have always felt it is my responsibility to fix it. I would think of ideas and things I could do to make this person or that person feel better. You and I talked about this last I was in Arizona. I was having a difficult time, was very emotional and crying when you lost Ethan. I was trying to figure out how I could fix it. I am telling Gene about how I need to help fix it and make it better. Gene looked at me and said to me. Honey you can't fix it and it's not your job to fix it and it's okay, it's okay. Honey just love. My big quiet farm boy of a Husband is a lot wiser than I realize at times. At that moment I realized oh my goodness I have tried to fix everything in my entire life and have failed at times along the way. That was so freeing to me, it is okay.....and I don't have to fix it anymore because it is not my job. My job is to ljust love I just love. So I stand at the side lines and cheer you on because I know what you have learned on this journey of life will make a tremendous impact in the life of many. Girl.... You are just touching the Surface of greatness. I know you will be impacting many with truth and honestly. For when we truly are honest about how we feel we are truly free.

    Love you girl..... Elisa

    ReplyDelete